Synopsis: Madalena is an indigenous Tocobaga woman from Florida. She is taken captive and enslaved by the Spanish empire to then become an intermediary and translator for the Spanish crown. Lost in history, save only for her mention in a friar's journal, her story journeys from Florida through the Caribbean, across the Atlantic, and back again. A tale of mystery, faith, life, and death that gives an account erased from the colonial history of the Americas.
Cast Size: 12 characters - parts can be expanded as desired. An ensemble can be added to play indigenous people and servants.
- MADALENA - Indigenous female from Tampa Bay, Florida of the Tocobaga people. A slave, servant, and eventual translator for the Spanish crown. Relentless. (Originated* by Hannah Corlew)
- ULELE - Indigenous female from Tampa Bay, Florida of the Uzita people. An idealist. Doubles as Isabel de Bobadilla's servant. (Originated* by Danielle Rodd/Gretchen Suárez-Peña)
- ISABEL DE BOBADILLA - Spanish female, mid-30s. The aristocratic Spanish wife of Hernando de Soto. A pragmatist. Doubles as a Tocobaga woman in Acts 1 and 2. (Originated* Alina Alcantara)
- ISA LA MORISCA - Female, 20s to 30s, a “white” slave from North Africa. Isabel de Bobadilla’s personal assistant. Kind. Doubles as a Tocobaga woman in Acts 1 and 2. (Originated* Dina Najjar/Marisol Robles)
- TOCOBAGA YOUNG WOMAN - Indigenous female. Madalena's friend. Doubles as Isabel de Bobadilla's servant. (Originated* by Jen Diaz/Laela Rodriguez)
- TOCOBAGA MAN - Indigenous male, assumed leader of the Tocobaga. Doubles as Chief Hirrihigua the leader of the Uzita tribe. Doubles as one of Isabel de Bobadilla's servants. (Originated* by Tyler Anderson)
- JUAN ORTIZ - Spanish male. A captive of the Uzita and Mocozo tribes in Florida after the Narváez expedition. Doubles as Gregorio de Beteta and one of Isabel de Bobadilla's servants. (Originated* by Manuel Solis-Bauza)
- HERNANDO DE SOTO - Spanish male. The Spanish explorer and conquistador. Isabel de Bobadilla’s husband. Doubles as Cáncer, first name Luís, a Spanish priest and missionary. (Originated* by Cornelio Aguilera)
- LAS CASAS - Spanish male. A Spanish colonist, landowner, friar, priest, and bishop, famed historian, and social reformer. Doubles as a Mocozo man in Act 1 and a Tocobaga man in Act 2. (Originated* by Lee Catalfomo)
- LOBILLO - Spanish male. One of Hernando de Soto’s men. Doubles as Esteban de Fuentes (Originated* by Jullien Aponte)
- GALLEGOS - Spanish male. A Spanish captain and conquistador. Doubles as Prince Felipe II, crown prince to the Spanish throne. (Originated* by Robbie James)
- JUAN MUÑOZ - Spanish male, a captive of the Tocobaga people. Doubles as Hernan, Hernando de Soto's deceptive business partner. (Originated* by Omar Negron)