Melina: A Steampunk Musical Tragedy
"Isn't time treacherous?"
Originating Vocals on demo album: Alyssa Yates (Mara), Dion Spires (Jacob), Gretchen Suarez-Pena (Melina), Jacob Reilly (Narrator), Ashley O'Connor (Aimee), Eric Sanchez (Jeremiah), Julie Newton (Young Melina), Chad Sell (Darian), Lisa Negron (Mother), Omar Negron (Father). Ensemble by Destiny Velez, Logan Harris, and Edel Nazario
What people are saying:
Broadway World Tampa/St. Petersburg Review
Melina, A Musical to Revel in - Freeline Productions
"It was incredible!... I can not wait to see what is next! " - J. from Lakeland, FL
"A beautiful story woven together with enchanting music that grabs you and won’t let go—even months later I can’t get some of the songs out of my head! ...Melina is a true masterpiece of musical theatre! - S. from Lakeland, FL
"Melina accomplishes a feat of storytelling through calculated creation of dichotomous players propelled forward in enchanting musical sequence. The nuanced symbolism throughout both the script and score lends to intricate analysis almost as entrancing as the show itself." - C. From Tampa, FL
"Melina: A Steampunk Musical"
Synopsis: In the steampunk town of New Comen, Mara, an aspiring vocalist and a lower-class girl, is in love with Jacob, the esteemed heir of the town. Their love is one of fairy tales until Melina enters the scene. The love triangle ends in heartbreak, tossing the town into political turmoil, and the fabric of time hangs in the balance of a mysterious time machine called the detector. Many years pass, and life takes unexpected twists, as the fate of Jacob's daughter and Mara's son become intertwined.
Musical collaboration with Tyler Anderson and Jonathan Gautier and Sound House Studios in Lakeland, Florida. Further musical orchestration with Central Florida Vocal Arts.
Cast Size: 8 characters with a flexible ensemble
- MARA - Female. A lower class vocalist. Passionate and a hopeless lover. She becomes the esteemed voice of the realm. Wears red. Range: F3-D5 (alto/mezzo-soprano) (Originated* by Alyssa Yates/Allie Kaye)
- JACOB - Male. The heir of New Comen. Mara’s first love and Melina’s love interest. Wears purple. Range: D3-E4 (baritone/tenor) (Originated* by Dion Spires/Matthew Fackler)
- MELINA - Female. Sweetness is her charm. Manipulative, methodical, and heartless. Knows more than she lets on. Not native to New Comen. Wears yellow. Range: B3-C5 (mezzo-soprano) (Originated* by Siobhan Gale/Giovanna Ciccone)
- NARRATOR - He sees all. Sadistic and mischievous observer of the "experiment" that unfolds. Wears black. Doubles as the Magistrate. Range: B2-A4 (baritone/tenor) (Originated* by Jacob Reilly/Christy Rodriguez de Conte)
- AIMEE - Female. A gossip and Mara’s truest friend. The eyes and ears of New Comen. Wears blue. Range: D#4-G5 (soprano) (Originated* by Ashley O' Connor/Lindsay Steinberg)
- JEREMIAH - Male. The producer from New Bento. Falls in love with Mara. Not native to New Comen. Wears green. Range: F2-B3 (bass/baritone) (Originated* by Eric Sanchez/Kenny Nisbett)
- YOUNG MELINA - Female. Doubles as Mother in Act I. Melina and Jacob’s illegitimate child. A scientist. Wears brown/bronze. Range: A3-C5 (alto/mezzo-soprano) (Originated* by Julie Newton/Ashley Vankirk)
- DARIAN - Male. Doubles as Father in Act I. Mara and Jeremiah’s talented son. Wears white/silver. Range: G3-A4 (tenor) (Originated* by Chad Sell/Jose-Manuel Lopez)